Skip to main content
All Questions

Design Chess.com

Unlock detailed company stats for this questionUpgrade
Become a member today
  • 100+ expert answer videos
  • Access to all courses
  • Peer-to-peer practice
  • Private Discord community
  • Full question database
Upgrade now

Watch senior+ engineer Uma Abu (Netflix) design Chess.com with his interviewer, another senior+ engineer Dani Saqib (ex-Amazon, ex-Microsoft).

Interview experiences

3 shared
Meta · 4 months ago
"The process was pretty rigorous, mainly because the bar at E6 felt more about scope and judgement than just solving the questions. Recruiter was clear and helpful. The coding rounds went ok, but I spent too long explaining some edge cases. Design was probably the strongest part, good back-and-forth and tradeoffs. Behavioral was fine, though I could’ve been more specific with impact numbers. Overall, a solid process but definitely tiring."
Software Engineer · Staff / L6
Meta · 7 months ago
"Overall, the interview process was pretty straightforward and well organized. The interviewers were friendly and gave me a good opportunity to talk through my experience and approach to problems. The process was a little lengthy, but overall it was a positive experience."
Software Engineer · Entry Level / L3
Meta · a year ago
"I got into Meta through a referral, and the recruiter reached out quickly. The process was recruiter chat, then a pre-onsite package with CodeSignal, a live technical screen, and a weird multiple-choice engineering philosophy questionnaire, and then about a month later the onsite with DSA, system design, behavioral, and the AI-enabled coding round. Honestly, Meta gave me the best prep materials of any company I interviewed with: a long prep PDF, portal videos, mock system design resources, and even a practice environment for the AI round. Most of the coding questions were exactly the kind of stuff people tell you to study in the Meta-tagged LeetCode list, so I never felt like they were hiding the ball. I didn't get the offer, and I think the system design round was what sank me because I expected distributed systems and got an API-design style chess problem that I handled in a really unorganized way."
Software Engineer · Mid Level / L4

Community answers

No answers contributed by the community yet.

Related courses

Course

Engineering Management Interview Prep

Land your dream engineering manager role at Meta, Google, Amazon, Microsoft, Stripe, and other top companies. Learn from mock interviews, frameworks, and advice from senior candidates. Explore system design, people management, project retros, behavioral interviews, and more.

Course

System Design Interviews

Learn how to answer the latest system design questions across product, infrastructure, and AI domains. Features in-depth video examples, written breakdowns, and helpful reference patterns. Watch senior engineers and managers answer these questions in mock interview videos.